View Single Post
Unread Dec 11th, 2005, 07:38 am
peace

skinsk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: discipline and classroom management with uni/adult students

Other clues to look for: names on books (though students sometimes "share" with students in other classes, so check yer role), jewelry, phones, books for other classes that they have out (for shame!). . . sometimes I just ask, but it doesn't match the flabergasted look they have if I come right out and ask them by name. . . also, some actually fill in their workbook excercises with their names (or a partners). . . and they "think" I just remember. . . and after a while, I do (sometimes). If a student, say, leaves for a 20 minute bathroom break (and I do try to catch them if they take their cell phone to the bathroom), I usually ask the kid next to them if I don't find the name thumbing through their English book. . . word gets back, and it can be done very subtly, without disrupting the class or humiliating the student. . . my role code for that is "20 minute bathroom break" (takes a few of those attendance blocks) or "bailed" if they don't come back until 5 minutes before class ends. On the other hand, little +s appear on my role about week 3, and soon students learn that I also notice them WORKING! These figure in a + .5 to 1 point on their final grade! I try for 2/1 positive comments (using names) and try to be fairly discreet with the negs. . . the word gets out, without you having to announce who is NOT doing what to the entire class.