View Single Post
Unread Jan 17th, 2005, 03:02 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road
Default Pronunciation Book

I bought a book to supplement a beginner's adult grammar class that was called "Pronunciation through Interaction" or something like that.

Every chapter was maybe 2-4 pages (an hour would be plenty of time for each unit). The first few units started with simple sounds, emphasizing the difference between similar sounds, (for example, one unit might be practice hard c and g.) The next part of the book moved into intonation, linking sounds and other parts of pronunciation. Very useful practice.

Every unit had pair work or "find someone who" or survey-type activities, mostly fun but some a little boring. No homework would be possible. The cassette is essential because there is listening work in every unit. I don't know if there is a teacher's book which would enable you to simply read through the exercises and skip the tape...

Anyway, it might be what you're looking for. I'll get the exact name of the book when I go back to school to do the final slice of my triple split shift today!

And I agree, very frustrating to be treated like an entertainer at your job. Did your director ever ask you to tap dance or anything?