View Single Post
Unread Oct 5th, 2007, 11:37 am
eslHQ Member

daviddean is on a distinguished road
Question How Can I make writing fun for stdt with ADD?

Hi, one of my 8 year old private students is really struggling in his class at school with his writing. Originally he came to me for conversational practice and is now ahead of his class mates, which his mother is extremly thrilled about as he was lagging behind last year. However, his writing is really terrible, even he can't read anything he has written either in his native tongue (Turkish) or in English. I feel it is because the school enforces "joined up" writing before the students even know how to form letters correctly. If students do not wirte using joined up letters the teachers erase their work and make them re-write it!

Anyway now his mother wants me to get him to write everything he has been learning at school, numbers, colours, days of the week etc etc, he has ADD and most times seems like he isn't even listening. However, when we play a few games or do a little test he aces them.

My problem is how can I make him enjoy writing, I thought about using wordless books but am worried they may be too advanced for him yet.

All suggestions eagerly awaited and greatly received.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

Last edited by daviddean : Oct 7th, 2007 at 03:50 am. Reason: wording alteration