Thread: help
View Single Post
Unread Oct 19th, 2007, 02:26 am
eslHQ Member

poppynicholson is on a distinguished road
Unhappy help

hiya, i really need some help and ideas for teaching chinese high school students! i am finding it really hard to teach them as with their levels of english, which are about intermediate i think, i feel there is very little i can do with them that teenegers are interested in. I can't play the sort of primary aged games like hangman and things like that, which their level is about right for as they are just not interested. i know i can show them movies in english and that they will maybe like that but i can't do that every lesson for the rest of the year. i have tried to get them to write stories and act them out in groups but they are not interested and just don't behave. i really need some advice, i myself am only actually 17 so sometime i am teaching people who are only a few months younger(or older) than me. At the moment with these groups i have been giving them song lyrics, with missing words and i play the songs repeatadley and they have to fill in the words, but this excercise has finished now and i am struggling. i prepared a presentation on a british band for them to look at and take turns to read out loud to the class, but i just can't get them to read loud enough for evryone else to hear, even though they are perfectly capable intelligent children. i am meant to teach them to speak english, which is a problem as although they can all read and write well they can barley speak basic sentences so actually trying to explain thing to them can be a challenge. the girls are all so shy and the boys so bad! any any any advice, games and activities would be greatly appreciated, please help! thanks