View Single Post
Unread Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:39 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from Bangkok

Natalie

I'm not sure if there is a standard test available and even if there is, it still might not work for your curriculum.

So, here is what i have done to level test adult and young adult students.

First you need to evaluate the levels of the classes you offer. Let's say you offer a beginner, intermediate and an advanced level English class. Look what the core structures you are teaching in those classes.

For example, you might be teaching simple past and future in your beginner class, past continuous and present continuous in intermediate and so on...

Then, write 15 questions down to interview the student. These questions should go from easy questions to hard questions(easy simple past, easy simple future, hard simple past, hard simple future, easy past continuous, easy present continuous, hard...).

So questions 1 through 5 would be beginner level questions, 6 through 10 would be intermediate level and 11 - 15 would be advanced. If a student aces the first 5 questions but then starts to have troubles with the second set of 5 and can't even answer any of the last 5, you'll know they are an intermediate level student.

Additionally, if you are not testing them orally (i think you should test them orally if speaking/listening are the main components of the class), you could also make a similar written test.

The test doesn't have to be long, it just needs to be relevant to what you are teaching. I'm sure you could write one in about 30 minutes.

i hope that helps,
eric