View Single Post
Unread Feb 5th, 2006, 08:26 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for Pronunciation Currics..

What did you mean again by "a book that can be used on 3 levels?"

As for pronounciation, if you're talking about phonics rules there are plenty of books but you can cover most of that yourself. You just need to get your rules down again and go in with the list to class. Search for phonics rules, curriculums, methodologies ... and you'll find plenty of resources available to you on the net.

Other than using phonics and breaking down each word into sounds, I find that repetition is the best teacher. If you can get them to talk and say the same things over and over again, you should see some improvement with increased fluency. Meaning, once they are past learning what to say, they can focus on getting it out quickly and with better pronounciation. Also, and this is my opinion, I think fluency is much more important than pronounciation. If they can get the whole thing out, a native speaker, or non-native for that matter, can usually make sense of the string even if a couple words are mispronounced.

They are listening and usually can tell they sound different from you. They just need to say the words over and over again before they can get it right.

The trick is getting them to say the same things over and over again.