View Single Post
Unread Feb 13th, 2008, 02:50 am
eslHQ Member

Rouvrou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching English in French primary schools

Hi there!
I guess we are lucky in Normandy, because our local advisers have taken the European objectives and broken then down into year by year activities and objectives. I also use the objectives in the English strategy
The Standards Site: Key Stage 2 Framework for languages
These are also based on the European standards.
I find that the combination of these two gives me the objectives and the "what", but is a bit short on the "how", especially the "how" in a French classroom with all the constraints I described in my first post - plus the one you mentioned in another thread about the teachers not really liking it if you make too much noise. I have one teacher who visibly winces when I sing with them (perhaps he is a musician!)
Although I have been a primary teacher and adviser, I haven't taught a modern foreign language before, so I feel that I need to get much better at the pedagogy - for example, what are the best ways of introducing and practising new vocabulary, what games work with large classes in cramped conditions etc
I am sure there must be masses of people on this forum with lots of experience and ideas.
regards
Rouvrou