View Single Post
Unread Feb 28th, 2008, 09:42 am
kev5446

KEV5446 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Teaching English in French primary schools

Okay. I just assumed most schools will use at least one text book or student , activity book. The state schools in france and Spain give parents a list of text books they have to buy for the coming year so try it. What do you do have a file and then file all the worksheets and material yourself or do you let the children copy ,cut and paste into a book. I am glad thatīs not me because here i teach from 9.00-17:00 and I have maybe two hours of prep a day. The classes are 55minutes. I use a pupils book with comprehension ,reading and singing activities. It is accompanied by a workbook and both is based around the national framework . most books and we re-view them every year is the same but the characters or style is different. We also have another book to copywrite in or do extra activities. I have three classes a week with the7,8 year olds and rely heavily on songs,flashcards witch i source to iontroduce new vocab. copy writing is also important. We also supplement the book or change certain units depending on how the children are doing.I couldnīt imagine having to teach by worksheet. It is difficult to let children of that age copy cut paste file without instruction in their native tongue. We teach natural science in english as well and I have my class twice a week and we work from scratch. We have a english department with both local and native speakers all with university degrees and we type at the beginnning of every year the syllabus and objectioves for each class and prepare extra activities etc and that is hard work without if not close to impossible without a textbook.we are struggling in sciemnce becuase we decided to go against a textbook. we also have a virtual classroom for parents and children on the schools web-site. I am surprised by the amount of time it takes to pre-pare well thought of worksheets and material. The best thing about a book is it is a spine you can grow your body around and the class should flow. I find That the worksheets made on worksheet engines on the net on tefl sites is not enough. anyway best of luck kev