View Single Post
Unread Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:37 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thank you.... You're welcome???

Quote:
Quote reMARKable View Post
I always feel insulted when someone replies, "No problem." I didn't assume there was a problem. It doesn't make sense. (English teacher for 30 years.)
Then why did you bother thanking me in the first place.

When you impart your will on someone with a request, there is a feeling of imposition. Otherwise it would be an imperative and like I said there would be no reason to thank the person. It was their duty and obligation (although I still feel it nice to say thatnk you in such a situation.)

I realise that English is a low context language and the meaning is mostly in the words but in general there are some higher context processes that should allow us to see past the words and understand the feeling or emotion behind the language.

Because English is a low context language we generally avoid repetition in set speech acts. That's why there are so many ways to say the same thing essentially. We don't want to be boring.

You're welcome. = No Problem. = My pleasure. = Any time. = Happy to help. = (I feel good about doing something for you. Doing something for you makes me happy. I like to make you happy.)

There are also many different English varieties even within single countries. We have to allow for other ways of expressing the same thing and possibly move English to a become more of higher context language which is very important on an international scale.

(English teacher for 8 years, but I don't think it matters)