View Single Post
Unread May 29th, 2008, 07:13 pm
eslHQ Member

Leighanna is on a distinguished road
Question Something of a Problem Student

I have an elementary class. My one student is a very fast learner, while the other five students are generally on the same level. This fast learner is constantly trying to rush the class, which of course I don't allow and I always make sure to check if all of the other students have questions when she says she doesn't. She's on the same learning level and there's not other comparable class at the school I teach, so I'm stuck with her there.

My problem is though, that the class wants to play learning games. This would not normally be a problem, as all of my other classes enjoy the games and they are of levels and ages above and below this class. When the fast learner is not present for the class, the students enjoy the games we play. When she is present, she sabotages the games. If it is a competitive game, she takes out the competitive aspect. She doesn't follow the rules. She turns it into a normal exercise.

I didn't realize it until Monday, when I went to play a word game and I heard her say in her native language (oh, yeah, she refuses the English-only rule) that she wanted to play a trick and split up the vocabulary 50-50 and that the teams should just help each other. Then when she realized I heard her, she decided to just follow the rules. And wouldn't you know it, the class, including her, actually seemed to enjoy the game.

I've been trying to look through some non-competitive games, but I haven't found any that I think any of my students would find fun or interesting.

Any thoughts or ideas? Or has anyone had any similar experiences?