View Single Post
Unread Jun 11th, 2008, 04:56 pm
eslHQ Member

Niamaat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Celta interview couldn't have been worse :(

Poor interviews may indeed be obstacles to your getting an invitation to join the course.

I hope you do get in but whether you get an acceptance letter soon or not you might want to begin a serious study of English grammar independently. You'll have to know English grammar pretty well to get into CELTA and to earn the CELTA certification.

Unless you are teaching non-native English speaker children English through acquisition, it is very likely that you will eventually need to know how to teach grammar per se. So might as well get to know it, so you can eventually teach it.

I was devasted after my initial CELTA telephone interview. Although I was told I would have a follow up interview what I got was a "thanks, but no thanks" instead. I was double devastated.

I continued to study grammar. I traveled to the country where I wanted to take the CELTA course and began teaching English there. I re-applied and heard nothing. So I think I applied for about 3 places all witin the same two week period and finally presented myself at one of the locations. The director teased me a bit about applying all over the world.

I was offered an interview for the following day with the course instructor. About two weeks later I got my letter of acceptance.

So if by chance you are not accepted on your first try. Get better prepared and try again. You now have the advantage of knowing what the interview consists of and you know where you are weak. Get stronger. Don't give up. You can do it.

Determination may be everything.