View Single Post
Unread Apr 20th, 2006, 05:44 am
eslHQ Member

nbedwell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Effective ways of teaching phrases?

Thank you for the survey idea... I will try this next class. It should work well for my adult students.

One idea I had that did work well was for practising ways that we open sentences when giving opinions. For example "In my opinion...." "I think....... "That's rubbish....."' "I disagree......" etc. etc.

To reenforce the langauge I wrote all the 'opinion openers' onto playing size pieces of card. Intitally with the students we brainstormed topics for debate and these were written on the board. The students were then put into groups of 3/4 and given a pack of 'opinion cards' which they dealt out. The group had to pick a topic from the board and debate it BUT each of the student's argument had to begin with what was written on the card. THe first student to get rid of the cards won the round.

It worked well as all students had to speak using the target language, no student could speak twice in a row and dominate. Students could interrupt other students AND there was that all important game element!

.. Unfortunately, my ideas dry up at this point so please any useful ones would be welcome!

Thanks again