View Single Post
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 12:26 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Do you support ESL co-teaching? What type?

It's a common practice in most of the schools. The foreign teacher handles the ESL class together with another teacher whose first language is the same with that of the students.
However the style varies:
Style 1. Some schools put the two teachers in the class at the same time. The foreign teacher is the main speaker while the other teacher a kind of interpreter and also incharge of discipline.
Style 2. Some schools have the local teacher introduce the topic, teach the related vocabulary, grammar and sentence structures. Then the foreign teacher comes in towards the end with oral practice.
Style 3. Some schools let the foreign teacher introduce the unit and teach the general idea. The local teacher only helps in doing a kind of review with the students helping in areas they didn't understand.
Style 4. Some schools have two teachers for the same class but they teach separate course books and evaluate the students separately.

I have worked with styles 1 and 4. Currently I am working with style 2. Honestly, I have not yet found any satisfaction in co-teaching. I had more satisfaction when I used to teach French speaking students without a co-teacher.
What's your experience with co-teaching folks?

Last edited by Eric : Jul 2nd, 2008 at 12:02 pm.