View Single Post
Unread Aug 28th, 2008, 02:37 pm
eslHQ Member

katan-ko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where can an ESL teacher get the best pay package?Tokyo, Beijing, Seoul,

Hi Denis
it is a lot easier for men in most non western countries
I have been to many Moslem countries and many non Moslem countries. My husband and I were in West Africa , I wore European dress, the dress was mid calf and a short sleeve matching blouse, very conservative Ship and Shore brand. We were mobbed by men at a market who wanted to touch me. place just outside the main, cosmopolitan downtown where all of the women African and European we encountered were similarly attired in clothes which resembled my own.

Also in the Arab world you can end up being treated with contempt very disrespectfully.

The money is good. The people are primarily very very nice, just if you are in a bad situation it can be very bad. A friend of mine was a Filipina teacher at a private compound where she was nit picked to death and was frequently awakened by the employers wife ( a woman who ordinarily slept untili 2 p.m. every day ) in the middle of the night for conversation classes.
She once mentioned she had a favorite tv show it was on Saudi tv at a certain time she ordinarily had nothing on her schedule, they immediately changed her schedule because they did not approve of her watching tv. She said she was more of a family slave than a staff member.They told her if she wanted to go someplace on her day off - a mall or wherever- they would have a driver take her, but often the driver would not be available so she had to stay where the family was or go with them. She stuck it out and opened a business. The woman later wrote to ask her if she could send her daughter on a vacation to visit her with some family and if she would keep her daughter so the daughter wouldn't have to live as she did. She said she awakened her at night because she feared her husband was too attracted to her and that tby being together nothing would happen.

Other people I know have had wonderful experiences, they work in schools, make friends and meet their students families. That is the best way to go.