View Single Post
Unread Sep 4th, 2008, 10:11 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching CAE - problem with materials / book

Exam Practice

1)There's material on the Cambridge ESOL site which you can download and use : Cambridge ESOL: Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)

2)There are also practice activities here and here and I'm sure you'll find more if you do a Google search.

3)I always tell my students that it's useful to redo exercises anyway. You won't want just to plough through the book again, but occasionally try giving them a photocopy of an exercise they've done before, getting them to do it and then check their answers against the corrected version of the activity that they already have in their books.

Other material

Remember that not every lesson has to be exam practice, and there's loads of stuff on the web that's suitable for the level.

1. Try the BBC's Words in the News for instance or the Watch and listen recordings which I find I can turn into a lesson in about 20 minutes using the framework :
A . Discussion/Prediction - I give the students the topic and ask them to discuss what they know about it and/or what they think the text is going to say.
B. Gist Listening - Listen to the text (you can play the recording or read it yourself if you've not got internet in the room) - does the text confirm what you said, contradict it or give different information.
C. Detailed Listening - Ss listen again and answer 5 or 6 detailed questions on the text
D. Language work - Give out the transcript turned into an exercise similar to one they might have to do in the use of English part of the exam.
E. I then go to the site's quiznet section, and find a quiz which consolidates or extends the students' knowledge of a grammar or vocabulary area which came out of the text - again this can be printed out.

Because the framework is always the same, the only parts that need preparing are C + D, and because you already know what exercise type you want to use, even D is very quick.

I have a lot on file and will gladly send you some examples if you PM me.

You may find other stuff on the site which you can use - those are just the ones I use most at that level.

2. And don't forget some of the sites advertised here - Heads Up English for example has material which is great for the level, with ready made lesson plans.