View Single Post
Unread Sep 27th, 2008, 07:15 pm
eslHQ Member

Tubs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are the best games to play

Great games - I also do a variation on the drawing game when I teach prepositions of place. The kids seem to love it, and it may work better with mixed ability/larger classes.

Before class I draw 3 three pictures, one simple, two more detailed. In class, I ask for a volunteer to come out the front, and I give them the simple picture, miming that I'm not looking at it. Then I ask "What is in the picture?" and draw what they describe. Then I show both pictures to the class, pointing out any differences.

I then hand out blank A4 paper to students, one piece between two students. I ask for another volunteer and have them come out the front and describe one of the more complex pictures, while all the kids try to draw it. I usually prompt the volunteer if they are having trouble, or make a mistake (e.g. saying "left" instead of "right" when describing where something is). When done describing, I show the original picture to the class so they can compare the original picture to the redrawn pictures. I then take the best drawing and stick it to the blackboard. Repeat the activity with a new volunteer and the second complex drawing. The game lasts 10-15 minutes.

I think this version of the drawing game may be easier with the Chinese middle school students I have. In Fishhead's version, there is the danger that one of the less able kids will start trying to whisper directions in Chinese. However, if you have a more motivated group or smaller group where cheating is more easily controlled, perhaps Fishead's version is better because more people get a chance to practice speaking.