View Single Post
Unread Oct 29th, 2008, 04:57 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would you or Could you - politeness

I'm afraid I think this is a bit too dogmatic and simplistic. Language is not that clear-cut. Rules like this can sometimes help beginners, but from intermediate upwards they need to know the subtleties - or there will certainly be confusion. I use could and would a lot - including with my family. It's not only dependent on the person you're talking to, but also on what you're asking for. There's a big difference between asking someone to lend you their pen and to lend you their Ferrari ....

It also depends on intonation. I might initially say to my son : Can you lay the table for me? but then if he doesn't, get progressively more cross and end up saying Would you please lay the table now! And that's certainly not "more polite" than the original "Can you ..."

Also, I personally would never use may in a request. It's now rare in British English, though I believe it's still used in American English (-??). In a British context May I... would sound over-formal and archaic - Can I/Could I... are the normal forms.