View Single Post
Unread Nov 26th, 2008, 08:38 am
eslHQ Member

paddyfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help needed with teenagers

I teach 11-15 yr olds in France and the 14-15 ones are the least interested for a variety of reasons (need to look into teen psychology there). Motivation is the big factor. I assume, as in my case, it's a state school situation with English as a compulsory part of the timetable. If this is the case, being firm (but gentle of course) is the first thing. You can't have pupils coming out of maths with a strict teacher and then expect them to spontaneously flourish in EFL. You may also be using a text book which may or may not be of any use. Make your own material if so. I did the US elections (although it's a bit late now) but you can still do inauguration day (research, web quests, information gap, writing biographies...) or anything topical really... If you have to mark them for their report card, tell them they will get points for not speaking Spanish, for using 'classroom English', for participation in oral activities and even for good behavior if they're really bad. Also, never start a lesson if there's any noise and never raise your voice. Remember, you're the adult. Yes, you can!... Now who said that?