View Single Post
Unread Mar 14th, 2009, 02:57 pm
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very young learners

Hi Apple Pie,

Wow...I feel for ya. Working with kids can be demanding stuff, especially when starting. How many classes have you had with these guys?

I don't have much experience with young kids but I did learn a thing or two from my last teaching job.

1) Kids feed off your energy...if you are happy, relaxed and confidant then your kids will mirror that. (Responsive, interactive and attentive). The opposite is also true. If you do not create a sense of authority...they will walk all over you.

You really need to set the rules out and make them clear. What I might do is in the next class...explain the "new rules" for example...no food in class, always do your homework...no talking when I'm talking...whatever rules you want to impose...

Then you need to make them want to stick to the rules. What worked for me was dividing the class into two teams...green and blue. Each team would get points for doing certain things.

Points for homework done
points for being good in class
Points for participate etc.

ALSO you can remove points if someone is not doing something or paying attention. You see...if one student is not doing something and you bring that to their attention and they keep doing that, remove a point from their team. You will be amazed at how quickly the students will respond.

I even had some students telling other students to be quiet so their team wouldn't loose points. Its a great way to keep kids in line. (Modify to meet your needs obviously).

2) You could try activity rewards...if everyone does a good job and is participating etc the last 5 minutes is a game. If not...no game. Just make sure to explain why they are not playing. They will get the idea pretty quick.

3) With younger kids maybe the ideas above might not work as well...maybe with 7 years and up...but making the rules clear is a very good idea...and stick to them. If you say that there wont be a game later on if they don't participate...don't play the game.

My best advice would be to be friendly and authoritative...also I find that being disappointed in someone is more effective than getting angry.

Also…PLANNING…if you are not prepared and ready for the class they will feel it. When you know exactly what you are going to do it will probably go smoother…also have 2 or three default activities just incase they are not responding well to the first you try. Always have a back up plan.

I hope that helps.
Diana