View Single Post
Unread Mar 15th, 2009, 02:40 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oral ESL for Adults--Help!

I work with adults mostly and a while ago I needed to teach children. I was pretty worried because I had never taught children before. Maybe you are feeling a bit insecure because these are adults. Try not to. Sometimes the classes are actually going really well but you are so nervous that you don't realize it.

Some key pointers:

1) Relax and teach. Your mood will 100% effect their mood and the classroom environment.

2) Be prepared and 100% planned. Don't just throw it together...they will know.

3) Make it real. Find out their jobs (you could have an interview panel for each person. Imagine: One student sits in a chair...surrounded by the rest of the class in rows or a half circle around them. Then each student asks a question to the student in the "hot seat". The questions have to be related to their job, English goals, experiences etc. Create some example questions so you point the class in the right direction.

This does several things...1) Teaching and correction questions and answers. 2) You learn more about each student 3) You can find out what their goals are.

4) Be confident...don't worry and have fun.