View Single Post
Unread Apr 16th, 2009, 12:14 pm
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you make enough money in ESL as a career?

Wow, I thought I posted a long response here but it didn't show up. What follows is the shortened version: the company I work for in Germany does pay alright, and there are raises. I don't think it's an especially ethical company, but I suppose I can't complain: they do give me money.

Some teachers here are making a 'career' or teaching English, but most of us didn't 'choose' English, it chose us. . . because there aren't many other white-collar jobs for foreigners in Germany. (Well, not without a math degree.) Still, the money is okay, but because freelance work is the norm, it's not regular. That means I make a bunch one month, not so much the next.

The next problem is that I'm not paying into a retirement system in Germany or the U.S., and that's going to bite me in the *** if I don't do something.

Still, I don't have any plans to change jobs and it does complement my wife's income well. And we do live alright, though not like my parents do.

Let me ask a counter question: how much money is 'enough for a career?'
-Toby