View Single Post
Unread Apr 24th, 2009, 06:43 pm
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: convince vs persuade

Quote:
Quote susan53 View Post
I've looked through about 200 sample sentences and can't find any difference- as long as you're talking just about the forms convince/persuade as active verbs and not related forms like convinced (adj) and so on.

You can both convince/persuade someone to do something and convince/persuade someone that something is true. Maybe there's sometimes a slight difference in meaning : in some (not all) of the examples convince seems to be preferred when the writer is talking about using a logical argument, while in some (not all) others persuade seems to have been chosen to express an emotional argument.

I also considered that maybe if you were convinced to do something you always believed in it, while you might be persuaded without really believing it was a good idea. But Google
I/He/She (etc) persuaded /convinced me/her/him to do it against my (etc) better judgement
and both verbs pop up. So that's out too.

I reckon they're close to synonymous.
I agree with Susan and would like to add one more variation. I'd use "convince" when I want to change someone's perception about a topic. I'd use "persuade" to get them to do something (i.e. a task).

Convince = to change one's thoughts about something
Persuade = to get someone to do something, but, not necessarily believe in it.

Example sentence - You can convince someone that people can fly, but you cannot persuade them to try and fly.

In that example, the word "convince" cannot be changed out for "persuade".

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com