View Single Post
Unread Jun 17th, 2009, 09:36 pm
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you give rewards in class?

Quote:
Quote HUE View Post
I don't give rewards per se, but I give lots of praise... which is a type of reward. If an activity went well, they struggled but tried on an especially difficult activity, or go above my expectations, I let the student/class know it. My experience has been that a constant and consistent flow of praise gets the class to meet their personal goals and my expectations.

Conversely, when they don't do well, they get advice and criticism. Both go hand in hand, I think. (Of course, I have to make sure the problem wasn't because of me. If, for example, I didn't explain the grammar so well and then there are a lot of mistakes later in the lesson, the students don't rightly deserve criticism. The blame rests with me.)
That's good. I like that. I do give praise, but sometimes I feel a little something extra, something tangible, goes a long way. For example, my uni. classes have finals this week; their English final was last week. So, I bought each of them a carton of milk. They were speechless and extremely appreciative. I do think they enjoyed it and it wasn't something I usually do.

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com