View Single Post
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 01:13 am
eslHQ Zealot

kisito is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your strategies for large classes

Yes, I used to have classes of 60 students for many years. The classroom management technique is key. Well in my case, the rolls and columns are always teams that work together in most activities. Teams usually compete against each other. So in a class of 60, that's about 6 columns. Draw grids on the board that represent them. Give and deduct points according to performance. Also apply a bit of peer pressure when one member of the team is costing the others points. Always maker sure that one group doesn't lose a game by a large margin and challenge the losers to win the next time. Always worked for me- competition. Always do not forget the students at the back. Also catch people off guard and ask them questions. Call names at random, it keeps all alert. Correct homework by asking columns to swap books or papers and then write your answers on the board. It helps because they spot mistakes of others and learn double. Also if wrongly corrected, students will complain and it all shows they are learning. I could go on.