View Single Post
Unread Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:07 am
eslHQ Member

AsianGaijin is on a distinguished road
Default Dealing with a VERY difficult child in class

Hello all

I know this is very popular question, and maybe someone has already answered it. I haven't scoured this entire site for it yet. If it comes to it, I will.

I have to teach a very difficult 4? 5 year old. He has a very short temper and likes to yell and scream to the point my other kids are covering their ears. He will occasionally participate in a game, but his attention is short and eventually will disrupt the game. For example, if we're playing a game and he doesn't want to play, then he won't just sit out he'll snatch the item that we're using and throw it outside. He'll climb the windows, he fights with the other kids and cries if the other kid hurts him back. However, he will also be ridiculously affectionate, want to sit in my lap and occasionally gives me a drawing.

I see him as a massive attention whore, as such ignoring him has it limits because he'll do something bad like slam doors, kick me and shove things to get it back.

At the moment I am a glorified babysitter and this is a private school. I've told others about this and was told that this behavior is not new and the past teacher had to deal with it too. I want to kick him out of class as some suggested to me, but I worry he'll just make more noise and a bigger mess outside and there are other classes going on. I try praising him when he does well, maybe it is not enough positive attention. I recently started a point system with stickers, wasn't too successful. Help please.