View Single Post
Unread Sep 27th, 2009, 01:29 pm
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching teenagers

Quote:
Quote Klee View Post
If you can harness their gossiping into a productive learning activity they will only thank you for it. See if you can adapt the lesson plan - especially the production part - to be on a topic that they normally want to gossip about (be it last nights TV, boys...). As long as you are practicing the structure that you have taught this will only benefit them because they will realise that the structures are transferable to any situation. Of course if you are learning something specific like How to Rent a Car this is tricky (although you can do it by saying "imagine you want to impress that girl you like, which car would you rent to take her on a trip..." etc). It's easier said than done though - I would love to know how to do this properly but if you can do it it might be a good idea...
yes, I think Klee is quite right and I'd like to expand more on this topic- when working with teenagers it is important that classes should be fun. I'd suggest role playing and pair work whenever it's possible. also some live demonstrations of the topic of the lesson, pictures of film stars/other famous persons etc.

for the first few classes you can use (for example) the topic "things in common" where in pairs they have to find out several things they have in common, or think of some famous couples and make others guess who they are by enumerating the things each couple has in common. in that way they also get better acquainted with each other which is important for the starting lesson.

hope this helps also.