View Single Post
Unread Oct 28th, 2009, 10:25 am
eslHQ Member

LeenaBuenosAires is on a distinguished road
Default Private ESL lesson with an adult

Hi there,

I am teaching private lessons to adults in Buenos Aires and I wanted to get some of opinions from the more seasoned folks out there. My experience has mostly been teaching children and now it's quite a different thing that I'm doing.

I have a student who needs to learn more formal, business English because he has only 1 month to improve his English skills if he wants to get this really great job. He needs to increase his vocabulary and comprehensions skills and just obtain a higher level of proficiency. I'm sending him home with lots of themed vocabulary relevant to his job. We read articles together and talk about them. But we spend most of our time on grammar. I feel like it's really dry but when I try to do anything more "active" he doesn't seem to see the point (ie. role-plays, cherades, quick ordering activities, etc.).

He's pretty advanced and serious and I'm not quite sure if I'm approaching the situation in the correct way. Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated! Thank you!