View Single Post
Unread Dec 21st, 2009, 08:26 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Why is Jesus an ESL Taboo?"

Well, yes. I have noticed and there are two thoughts as to why Jesus is so taboo in the teaching of Christmas. One is some people might not want "religion" forced on them in their public education system or they don't want their children exposed to conflicting views. The other, and I fear might be more real, is from the corporate world that wants everyone to share in the spending frenzy of the materialistic season. They don't want it to go back to a Christian holiday ... (The Christmas tree actually comes from a pagan religion, adopted in an atempt to spread Christianity and Santa Claus in the red and white is from ColaCola)

Anyway, I don't side-step the issue. It's not false to say that Christmas is celebrated as the day of the birth of Jesus Christ.

In the same light people aren't teaching Halloween any more either. They are calling it "Fall Harvest Festival" and having "costume parties". I don't side-step that either. I teach Halloween as is, even though I am Christian.

I approach the situation with tolerance, understanding and education. It's better to know about something, accept that others believe the same or something different, and understand the thing. That's much better than lies or avoidance in my opinion.