View Single Post
Unread Jan 8th, 2010, 06:30 pm
eslHQ Member

LeenaBuenosAires is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 hr. private lesson with a 10 year old boy!

Okay... So I had my first class with this boy yesterday and I wanted to let you all know how it went. First of all, he goes to a bilingual school (a very common thing here in Argentina for the upper-middle class) and thus speaks EXCELLENT English.

The reason his mother wants him to take English classes so intensively throughout the summer is that they might move to the USA at some point and that she wants him to be up to speed. But he already is.

The activities I had planned for him were far too childish. He's an extremely academic kid and took the class very seriously, although it was quite a bit under his level. We read some of Aesop's fables (he understood nearly everything) and I had him write his own fable. He knew exactly what a fable was, who Aesop was and everything. He explained perfectly to me what similes, metaphors and other literary devices were (like irony and sarcasm) etc.

Now I'm scratching my head - WHAT do I do with this kid? He certainly wouldn't see the value of playing and having fun - different kind of kid. He told me yesterday that he wants to become a lawyer but that perhaps it would be difficult to study law in Argentina and then practice law in the states or vice versa, as the legislation is obviously so different. 10 years old.

Hmmm. Any ideas?