View Single Post
Unread Jan 17th, 2010, 04:58 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to Teach a Quiet Class and Make the Lessons Interesting?

Students tend to bond with a teacher, and then if a different teacher comes, students at first may not be too happy. That's very common.
Try to find out what kinds of activities they like. When you ask, make the questions very simple, and only use grammar that the students know.
You could also give the class a very simple needs assessment (a form that you make and every student fills out). Tell them the reason why you want them to fill out the form. Maybe you say," I want the class to help you more." You need to explain everything on the form before you ask them to fill it out. Then sit down sometime and look at all their responses.
I hope all the students bring bilingual dictionaries. I teach Beginning High (3rd level of 8) and I tell students that every person MUST bring a dictionary with his/her native language and English. The dictionaries are extremely important. One benefit is that the students learn how express themselves in English.
Be careful: don't assume they know something unless they have told you, or demonstrated it.