View Single Post
Unread Jan 28th, 2010, 03:30 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Why is Jesus an ESL Taboo?"

Quote:
Quote J_Joseph View Post
Why risk upsetting the apple cart simply to make mention that your make believe deity of choice was born on suchandsuch a day?
Joseph - it's certainly OK to bring this back or even start a religious debate, but you don't really seem to be bringing the tolerance and understanding I was talking about when I said:

"It's better to know about something, accept that others believe the same or something different, and understand the thing. That's much better than lies or avoidance in my opinion."

If you don't believe Jesus should be mentioned when talking about Christmas (or anywhere outside of Catholic schools), that's fine, but please understand that other people just as strongly believe the opposite. We all have our reasons.

If I said I understand where you are coming from and that if you don't feel comfortable with the subject matter you can opt not to teach it, would you provide me with the same courtesy? Would you allow me the option of teaching explaining the facts behind Christmas to my class?