View Single Post
Unread Jun 6th, 2006, 07:20 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How important are placement tests?

Hi,

Like I mentioned before, my company offers the BULATS tests, so I'll try to answer

BULATS is a test rather than an examination, so the candidates get a report on their level and ability rather than a cert (although they do get something that looks like a cert.)

You can't pass or fail BULATS. Like IELTS, it finds your level on a range and it's up to your company to set the target.

At our company, we get very few individual enquiries, but a lot of corporations have asked us to run it for their groups. It is generally used for recruitment, promotion, pre- or post-course testing or just for data gathering.

When people say BULATS, they generally mean the computer (or paper-based) test of reading, listening, vocab and grammar. There are also BULATS tests for speaking and writing.

So the value of the test report may only be useful to the company and not the employee (that's what the comapny wants to hear). However, it is a Cambridge test and the ALTE/CEF levels that it uses are becoming more and more popular all the time, especially in Business English.