View Single Post
Unread Apr 8th, 2010, 07:54 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default My difficult class

Hey there! I'm looking for help for my most difficult class. Here's some background on the class.

My school is a prep school in China. The school is pretty expensive and most of the students in my class are pretty spoiled. The school is not traditional as we use Smartboards for our lessons. I have 6 classes a week. This particular class is composed of 6 students, aged from 7-9. The city I'm in is a business trade city and the students are here because their parents want them to study English early on. The students do not want to be here.
This provides some difficult challenges for myself. I've only been teaching since October. The students are disruptive and do not pay attention. Instead, they laugh and show off for their classmates. The only thing they're interested in...the daily worksheet. They are also interested in the games. In class, we have fun using the software lessons provided by the school and some I make myself. The lessons are fun and when the children pay attention, they really enjoy them. The lessons give a decent push to learn english as they aren't too advanced nor too easy.
I tell the rules after we do our daily warm up and explain the baseball rule (3 strikes and your out). Instead of the rules giving good behavior, the students usually do the opposite to be funny. I try to keep them entertained as well. I believe that teachers are like actors...we gotta keep them interested and entertained. I don't yell...except on rare occasions.
This is a new class for me so we will have a long road ahead. I've established the rules early on yet when I try to enforce them, no one cares. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need help!