View Single Post
Unread May 9th, 2010, 09:47 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sight Words with Samson

Every now and then after the daily warm up I play a simple game with the students. I have all the sight words they have learned in a chart...separated into 3 different groups. Words in each group range in point value from 1-3. And then, I choose a keyword (such as a new animal or vocabulary word). The students then try to make a sentence with the keyword and a sight word of their choice. For every successful sentence, the student gets that many points (could be done in teams as well). Once the word is used, it cannot be used again (this is done easily in my class thanks to our interactive WBs...the students just cover up the words that have been used). Sometimes, I will also let a student choose the keyword. The students really like this way and can be very creative. I award an extra point if the students are particularly creative. As time goes on, the lists get huge! This game can go quickly if you want to just let them practice a few or it can take up a good chunk if you want to try and let them finish every word.