View Single Post
Unread May 24th, 2010, 08:33 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Classroom management (discipline)

Quote:
Quote confusionisben View Post
Hi.

I am a new ESL teacher, and new to the board. This topic has proved especially helpful as i am coming to grips with good classroom management. I just have one problem, a private student, age 5, who is completely uncontrollable. The first lesson i had he was shy, and would barely participate, but not a problem. Now he just runs around. I've tried a points system, "no sticker", and stopping and waiting crossed arms, and using the "activity every 5 minutes" in case it was boredom, as of yet no yelling, but he still runs around, jumps on tables, wiggles his bum at me. I'm not sure what i can do. Being a private student i think makes it even worse, because i can't do the 'exclusion from activity' idea that many recommend.
Any help would be very well received. I am new to this, so i understand i have a lot to learn, and this child will be good for me in the long run if i can just get him to learn and behave.
Make it interesting. Get into the kids head. Find out what he likes. I know in China the kids around here absolutely love Ultraman/Power Rangers. So to make things more interesting when learning colors I made a set of different colored Power Ranger-like heroes. The kids were infinitely more interested in that than plain ol' color splotches or colored shapes.

You can also find a fun game that's suitable for 2 people. A simple board game like snakes and ladders would work. Check out a site Dave's ESL Cafe It's chock full of great information and games. I hope any of this has been of some use to you.

I had a similar issue with one student. At my school, classes meet twice a week. This particular student could only make it to one. So, to compromise with a distraught parent, we gave the child 1 private 15 minute lesson a week. It was rough at first. Having a review game ready really helped out tho. Kids love to play games and really try hard to win. Good luck!