View Single Post
Unread Jun 1st, 2010, 11:06 pm
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your first class topic :D

I think a survey would be a good idea too. I like that idea for a bigger class tho. So far, I have only 3 students tho (2 students had signed up and an extra had checked the class for a demo and now he's signed up too...I guess he liked it.) In a bigger class I had an idea where the students take the survey and then we cut up the questions. At random, I would take a slip from pile (or hat...whatever) and would read the question and the answer. Students should then try and think about which student's answer it is. It could be fun when I have a bigger class.

The first class was a little rocky, however. I went into the school being told that this was the 'advanced' class. Then, when I get there, the school tells me that I should begin with simple things like how are you, what's your name, how old are you? This put an entire damper on my class lesson. The students level was much higher so we ended up turning this into an all icebreaker/fun type class. I used some of my original ideas and went from there. In the second class, I decided to use my original topic and ignored what the school wanted me to do (I made sure it was OK at first tho...I'm not a jerk or anything hehe). The class went great. I'm trying to design my classes around having the students talk a lot more than myself. However, when I'm making lessons, sometimes I think it's a bit more difficult with some topics than others.

Also, I made a list of all the possible topics that I have planned and handed the list out to the students. The students were pleased with the topics. Every class I will have them mark off the topic of the day. If students come up with their own idea, we will add it to our list and I'll prepare something around it. I hope it works out OK. After the first class I was starting to regret agreeing to come back to the school. I really don't like having to teach their material (especially being given the material 5 minutes before class.) I do much better when I can plan a full lesson. I'm still a newbie teacher (not even a full year yet). I guess with more experience I might be able to just think of the lesson plan. I'm pretty good with improv when it comes to my children classes...but adults...I'll need more experience. Anyways, Mr. baker thanks for telling me to not knock myself out over it. I knew I shouldn't but I guess having someone else tell me that really hit the spot. It helped me loosen up a bit more in class too. I had a much better time.