View Single Post
Unread Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:37 pm
eslHQ Member

wakeupmartin is on a distinguished road
Default Beware of email scams requesting tutors - they are getting cleverer!

Hi all,

I'm posting this here because I don't think anyone has yet mentioned this on eslHQ.

I've just received 2 strange emails from someone asking for lessons. Last time I received a similar request was half a year ago. After a bit of google researching I found that it was a known scam and some music tutors had actually fallen for it.

This is the pattern of the scam (apparently the details vary):
  • You receive an email from someone whose English is a bit strange (see the actual emails below - I guess they're Nigerian). They ask how much you would charge for, say, 2 months tuition (4 lessons/week) with their daughter/son/nephew/etc.
  • Naturally you get excited and send them a quote.
  • Later your receive a second email, happily agreeing to your fee. Then (and this is where I got suspicious) they offer you about £1000 more than your actual quote, and ask for your name and address so that their 'agent' in the UK could send you a cheque. They also mention that their daughter/nephew/etc. needs accomodation.
  • I ignored the email and some google research confirmed my suspicions:
  • Apparently they send you a cheque for the huge amount. You bank it. Your bank allows you to withdraw the money before the bank has had time to check the signature + details...
  • Before your bank has checked the cheque your new 'client' suddenly introduces an element of urgency... the plan has changed, there is an emergency, some of the money now needs to be immediately transferred from your account to another account. Your 'client' tells you how much is needed.
  • Assuming the money is yours to do with as you please, you forward the specified amount out of your account. After a day or so, your bank tells you that the cheque bounced (or whatever the term is), and you owe your bank the amount you transferred.
  • You get the picture.

So, for the record, here are the two emails I received:

1st dodgy email:
---------------------
Hello
My Name is Michael Smith,I am 52yrs old based in Northern Ireland.I got your advert placement that you are tutoring and you are interested in teaching any level,I will like to know that my daughter (Daniella Smith) is coming to the United Kingdom for long vacation and also a case study pertaining her school,she is 15yrs.I will appreciate if you could be a per-time teacher to her and you will be teaching her 2hrs a day for 5 days which will be for just 5 weeks,so do get back to me and let me know the total cost you are charging my daughter for 5 weeks duration and also let me know the date you will be available to teach her.Thanks and waiting for your reply.Kindly email me direct for prompt response to your email at : michael.smith1010i@yahoo.co.uk.You can ring me as well on 07024029807.

Regards.

Michael Smith.
-----------------------

I replied with a quote of £1000 (£25/hour)

2nd even dodgy email:
-----------------------
Hello Martin,

Thanks for the mail,i apologize for the delay in response to your message.Yes,I'm okay with the price.I want you to know that i have make an arrangement of a place where my daughter will stay during the lessons period and she will be coming from there to your place for the lessons.Moreso,I will like to let you know that my daughter is very nice,Humble,intelligent and bouyant and you will enjoy teaching her.Thanks for letting me know that you can teach her for 2hours in a day for 5 days for the duration for 5weeks so she can understand during the 5weeks lessons.I want you to know that the payment is going to be in a certified bank cheque or Bank draft drawn from U.K bank and i want you to know that i have client in the United Kingdom who is owing me will be sending the payment down to you on my behalf which the sum is ( £2,920) and i will instruct him to issue the certified bank cheque or Bank draft out to you at once,So i want you to understand me.So kindly get back to me with your full contact information where the payment will be send to and i will need the following details as follows:-

Full Name ........
Full Address.......
Postal code......
City...........
Mobile Number....

As soon as the cheque arrived and have it cashed,I will like you to deduct your funds for the lessons and i am compesation you a extra £40 for your stress and inconveniences through the process while the remaining funds will be wire transfer to the travel agency that will take care of my daughter trip to your location before the lessons period and all other expenses during her stay.Daniella should be in England first week of August and start the lessons,she is available at anytime for the lessons.

Thanks for your time and i will be waiting to read from you soonest to confirm that you got my e-mail.

All The Best.

Michael Smith.

--------------------------------------

All the best,
Martin