View Single Post
Unread Oct 10th, 2010, 11:09 pm
eslHQ Member

Real Girl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kindergarten Classroom Language

Hi I teach Kindergarten in China 3 - 7yrs old. There are 28-38 kids per class. I keep the kids seated as much as possible. I get them to stand to do Raise you hands etc. You have to do it in a chant or make up a song. I count myself lucky if 1/2 the kids do what you want. I don't have Chinese and the teachers on the whole don't have English. Some times a choose a child and bring them to the front and demonstrate on them, hold their hands up, put them down, etc. The other kids love this and clamer to be the next one. I choose a child who has joined in and is participating. It takes a while but the class gets used to YOUR ways if you are consistant. I use lots of songs, like, this is the way you wash your hands, open shut them, if your happy and you know it (but i don't use stamp your feet because it gets our of hand, I use, wiggle your ears, wiggle your nose, etc) Five little duck, five little monkeys hanging in a tree, five little monkeys jumping on the bed. Don't worry they don't sing at first eventually they will.
If I can help further please let me know. I find flash cards a bit of a waste if you try to use them as the main part of your lesson, just use them to introduce your words. I have a couple of games that the kids love and all particiapate in if you contact me I will let you know.
Cheers
Rhonda