View Single Post
Unread Nov 22nd, 2010, 01:30 pm
eslHQ Member

tigerfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trainee in need of help, I'm so confused!

Quote:
Quote bread_baker View Post
What ages are your students?
I'd explain that "used to" can be used for a past habit or condition that is no longer true.
Examples: She used to eat desserts. (Implying that she doesn't do that anymore)
There used to be a Chinese restaurant on this street.
Amy used to date my brother.
Peter used to live in New York.

I'd write a lot of examples on the board and carefully explain the grammar. In my class, I like to have students write with the new grammar before they speak with it. You may find exercises for this grammar in a good grammar text.
I'd definitely try one or more speaking activities with this grammar. Choice of activities will depend on the ages of the students.
thanks Bread baker.

I am teaching an adult class in a community centre. I am being assessed so I have to keep to a very tight context throughout the 1 hour lesson. I am not allowed to plan any writing until the end production task.
My thinking has progressed to having the context of someone who won the lottery, and saying what they used to do, ie work, travel by bus, live in a small flat etc.
I need to teach the interrogative, positive and negative forms, and plan different practice activities for each. I am worried that my vocab will be too simple, but I am not sure how to extend it.
Can anyone suggest activities?

thanks,
tigerfly