Thread: difference
View Single Post
Unread Dec 26th, 2010, 05:14 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: difference

Itīs always possible - but here very unlikely. Notice that here weīre dealing with the third meaning, past action with present result, so the choice is between seeing what has happened as a single event or an on-going sequence of actions. If it were just an explanation of the red eyes, then itīs likely the person would want to express "crying" as something that was repeated - ie went on for a time. Your eyes donīt get red if they just fill with tears momentarily. So the continuous form is the most likely choice ...
-Why are your eyes red?
-I've been crying.

As I said, the choice of verb will depend on the meaning you want to express and that will depend on the context. In this case, I canīt think of a context where the person whoīd been crying would want to express it as a single event rather than something on-going/repeated, so I think that 999 times out of 1000 the continuous form would be chosen. But as always, itīs not due to some abstract "rule" but because the continuous form expresses the meaning that the speaker would be most likely to want to express in that situation.

Change to a slightly different situation and you can see how the speaker can easily choose to express either one meaning or the other. Imagine a teenager arriving home from school and his mother talking to him :
- Why are you so out of breath?
- Iīve been running.

(the speaker sees/expresses it as an on-going/repeated sequence of actions)

- Why are you so out-of breath?
- Iīve just run all the way from the bus stop.

(the speaker expresses it as a single event)

Notice that the situation is exactly the same. Itīs just a matter of how the speaker "sees" the action and therefore which form s/he has to use to express that meaning.