View Single Post
Unread Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:13 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Used to - discontinued past habit/state

Lead in (Engage): Pair work - Ask the students to talk about the games they played when they were children - they'll be able to do this using the simple past. Get them to report back and list the games on the board

Presentation (Study) : tell them about the games you played as a child, using used to and didn't used to, pre-setting the gist comprehension question :Were the games I played the same as yours or different? Check their comprehension, and then ask them to listen to exactly what you said. Go through your anecdote again, a sentence at a time and focus first on "used to" affirmative. Write the sentence on the board Concept check : Is this something I do now? Is it something I did once, or often? Then continue the story and focus on the form of the negative - add to board. Finally ask them what they think the interrogative will be.

Controlled Practice (Activate): a) repetition of your target sentences b) textbook activities

Freer Practice (Activate) : Pair work - change partners and ask them to tell their new partners both about themselves and their old partner and the games they each used to play.