View Single Post
Unread Sep 26th, 2006, 01:50 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which language level do you most like teaching?

Damn hard question to answer! I had to think about it for a while. I have mostly taught elementary with some intermediate and I think it depends on the age group.

If I was teaching kids then I would have to say elementary because that is a great time to teach and interact with them. They are so fascinated by everything that you do and when they can finally understand certain phrases, that you are trying to teach then it becomes a real joy. You can play lots of games and sing songs and be a kid yourself (wishing that my teachers were as cool as I)! You give them the tools to carry on.

If I was teaching adults then I would have to say intermediate. I have taught elementary before and they tended to go off topic a lot in their native language and as I didn't speak it, the class seemed less focused than others. Maybe I wasn't as good with them as with others or maybe they weren't interested but however I decided that I would try my hand at teaching adult intermediate classes and it was a blast. The students are a lot more talkative, spoke very little in their native langauge and were a lot more focused then the elementary adults that I taught.

It's interesting that many books and teachers have a way of determining who is advanced, intermediate, etc. I have one system for myself which proved very easy for me. If the students don't speak much of their native language in the classroom and want to speak rather than listen to me than these students are intermediate and these are the students that I want to teach for adults!

Sorry that my answer was pretty long. Just to recap!

kids - elementary
adults - intermediate

Interesting topic!