View Single Post
Unread Sep 27th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One to one classes

there is nothing wrong with using games in class, especially in 1 on 1 situations. just as long as your game is actually practicing something like vocab or grammar.

i know what you mean about thinking what the parents must be thinking. but if you are making English learning fun, there should be no problem.

as for games and activities, i agree with mark. pick a game that relies on luck and not skill.

use dice or rock scissors paper to decide points. play chance games like go fish or other card games. charades and pictionary can be very effective.

also, if you have access to a tape recorder you can do some fun things like have the student talk about a picture for 2 minutes, record what they say and then play it back and pick out the errors, or let them try to pick the errors.

along that same idea, try a recorded journal. have the student make a journal entry on a cassette tape and then check it next class. the parents will love this, too!

don't forget about reading. read each other a story. maybe you could read a paragraph and then the student reads a paragraph. this is a great way to practice listening and reading.

you dont have to play games the entire class either. i like to sandwich the "boring" stuff between the "fun" games and activities.

hope this helps a bit,
eric