View Single Post
Unread Aug 20th, 2011, 12:17 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Forcing young students into talking

This is a hot button issue at my school and more often than not I feel awful about this. My school has free, daily demos to attract new students. The demo is short (usually it lasts about 20-30 minutes at a time). In this demo we sing a song, do some greetings, and then play a couple interactive games.

The demo is also (usually) hosted by myself. Students generally have no former English training and are absolute beginners. Students are about 3-7 years old.

Lately we have been doing demos every single day. Sometimes we do 2-3 demos a day. With the recent rapidity of these demos I began to notice some rather disturbing things about some of the marketing staff at my school.

So, here's my problem! The marketing staff (and sometimes parents) want their children to begin speaking right away...from the very first hello! Nevermind that the students have no prior English learning and that we can't use Chinese (the native language) to help explain (which I don't use it in my normal classes at all).

I have read many places and heard from lots of teachers that the best way to approach new learners is to let them move at their own pace. I get dirty looks from the marketing staff when I use this approach. The school wants me to get the students talking immediately-no matter what! This pains me and I am refusing to do this.

Most students are already intimidated by having a foreigner (a true rarity in my city) talking to them in a strange tongue. I am friendly and happy and I do create a happy environment for the students.

I want to know if any of you have any suggestions. I've heard that forcing students to speak really can be stressful and can lead them to dislike English and the teacher. In these demos I'm required to get students talking (even a little 1.2 year I had today :X). I manage to get a couple words in the games and songs but that's about it with the very young learners (students 5+ are just fine).

So, any suggestions? Do any of you know a fun way to get students talking right off the bat? I use puppets, props, TPR/actions, songs, and drawings.

I am currently feeling a lot of pressure from my school. I am at an impasse right now. I want to keep my standards but also I need to please my school.

Ugh...why can't people be more patient?