View Single Post
Unread Aug 28th, 2011, 05:19 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forcing young students into talking

Can you describe an average class? Do you play many games or sing songs?

Also, how do you motivate your students into listening?

Outside of the class I am pretty reserved and quiet (not shy, I am just a busy kinda guy). However, in my classroom I am sort of a clown. I try to be loud and funny. Part of our duty as ESL teachers is to kind of be an entertainer.

An example of me being funny would be when we review. Reviewing is often pretty boring so I really need to put on quite a show to make it really interesting. We often use low and loud voices (alternating) in reviewing content. When the students are especially loud I pretend to stumble back and massage my ear...as if they bust it. I use a lot of facial expressions (think something like Bruce Campbell). The students are laughing and giggling and just want to see what kind of crazy stuff I'll do next.

So...try to be some kind of entertainer with young children. They don't really understand why they are learning English (other than their parents want them to). Create a fun environment for them.

And remember...you can't win them all. Some students might have underlying issues as well (think ADD or something like that).