View Single Post
Unread Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:40 pm
eslHQ Member

krista is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ideas for an intro conversation class

Hi there,

I am a brand-spanking new teacher and my school chose very unwisely to give me three conversation classes - no textbook or curriculum included - with introductory english students. These students are learning english still from a native speaker because they are at such a basic level that they cannot understand a foreign teacher. But the parents were promised that their children would have exposure to a foreign teacher, so they created my class! It's basically an extra class that they have to attend and all I have been told is that my class is for them to practice speaking. Now imagine how difficult it is to get a room full of students who can barely speak english to participate in a conversation class for two hours!

So, I need help big time! My students are all around 17 or 18 years old so the games can't be too childish. Luckily I don't have to evaluate them in any way and I have not been given a curriculum so I can pretty much do whatever I want. But being a new teacher, I don't have any experience or past resources to draw on. If any of you know of an activity or an idea for a 2-hour lesson that would be perfect for my situation, I would be so very grateful!