View Single Post
Unread Nov 1st, 2006, 05:15 pm
eslHQ Addict

musica is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The origin of halloween

HI
Yesterday was Halloween here in Canada and I had over 100 kids coming to my door accompanied by doting parents. It is such fun to see the little ones dressed up as dogs, caterpillars, princesses etc and then the older ones trying to be scary, vampires, etc.

It is hard to explain to people not from here what a celebration Halloween is. Lots of kids in my classes looked forward to Halloween more than they did Christmas. I remember what it was like to come home from Trick or Treating and dump out my bag of candy on the floor and sort it out into categories and count it all!!

When I moved to England they were trying to introduce it in some areas and it just doesn't work. People thought trick or treaters were begging.

Here is something else I found on the net.

Many people view Halloween as a time of innocent fun. Children love to dress up as their favorite characters. They will go door to door saying the infamous words "trick or treat". Many adults also love Halloween, because it gives them a chance to let loose and act silly. Every year in the U.S.A. alone, millions of dollars are spent on Halloween goods. Halloween is the second highest grossing money maker outside of Christmas. The promotion of Halloween by the television moguls, the advertisers, and not to mention the blockbuster sales of movies and rentals this time of year. Everyone can see Halloween is big business. Allot of people do not see the harm in all of this Halloween hoopla.