View Single Post
Unread Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:36 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

arielhud is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quiet/calm games for kindergartners

Haha, no worries. It's good to hear you have TAs. The max of kids in my classes are 6 (sometimes 7 when there's a scheduling error) and I don't have TAs, so I can't imagine handling so many all at once. X_X

Other ideas might include:

Have everyone sit in their desks or in a circle with their hands palm up on their knees. Have one child start with "A" and the child behind them (if in desks) say "B" and so on. If they are sitting in a circle, have them say "A" and then touch the hand of the next person, who then says "B" and touches the next person, and so on. For more of a challenge, you can have them do the ABCs backwards, or saying "A, /a/" "B /b/" "C /k/" etc.

Again in a circle formation, you can play "Duck Duck Goose". You choose who will be the "Goose". This person stands up and goes around the circle, touching the heads of their classmates one at a time, saying "Duck", "Duck", "Duck"..... until they decide on a Goose and yell "Goose!" This instigates a chase between the person who is the goose and who might continue to be the Goose. If the chosen child catches the Goose before they make a full circle and sit in the open space, the Goose must go around again (I ignore this rule as some kids are slower than others and it can hurt their esteem to have to repeat).

The last game I can think of at the moment is "I Spy" Have the kids sit down and play the game by starting with "I spy something (color). It is (adjective) and (adjective). What is it?" Of course it can work with more simple grammar too, if you don't mind them out of their desks to run around trying to find what you're looking at that's "red" or "blue", etc.

Hope these help!