View Single Post
Unread Dec 16th, 2011, 02:28 am
eslHQ Member

Balio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mistakes that new teachers make

Quote:
Quote iman123 View Post
Pink Lady,

I don't understand all this 'you have be to so strict and stern'. My students are learning quickly and we are having a blast. By far, we are the loudest class in the building!
I think being a "hard a$$" is a bit strong wording, but the idea of maintaining control, I've found is really important.

I just started teaching a month ago (no experience, no training) and the biggest mistake I made was with my one class of 5 year olds during my first week. We were doing nursery rhymes, and I was saving some colouring sheets for the last 10 minutes of class. With around 20 minutes left, they wanted to colour and started chanting "colour, colour". I basically gave up and let them colour. I realized my mistake after I'd handed out the sheets. They were good for the rest of the class, but since then, every single day, they have continually yelled for colours. Now, about 3 weeks later (I have made a point not to let them colour since then) it is barely starting to subside.

To clarify, it is important to be the one in control, not to be mean. I still did fun stuff with my students since then, and I am still very popular with the students in all my classes, but because of that one incident, it is still one of the most difficult classes for me to control.