View Single Post
Unread Apr 25th, 2005, 08:34 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road

Hi, good question. I'd like to hear some new suggestions as well.

Children
: I've been using the Let's Go series as well, which I like, but sometimes I just like to use something else. Our school started using English Time published by Oxford, and I have been really pleased with the structure and content. Each chapter is well layed-out, the workbook has writing activities that require comprehension and thought, not just copying skills, and the teachers' books are full of supplemental worksheets and activities. It's a really great series.

University/ Adults
: I don't teach this level, currently. But I was using a straight up grammar book, Basic Grammar in Use which divides lessons into 1 page of explanation + 1 page of practice activities, then I would find a matching production exercise from a book like Grammar Practice Activities (all of these published by Cambridge, I believe) and that was that. The higher levels of the book do more usage-based (should you use present perfect or present simple here?) type of lessons.

For high level classes of the elementary - highschool age, I have twice used the series called Daybook of Critical Reading and Writing which is not actually an ESL series; it's intended for North American students whose mother tongue is English. However, the thinking skills related to reading that it teaches are so lacking in Korean ESL classes that I think it's a really valuable resource. Supplemental lessons is usually required because the vocabulary level is very high, and grammar is not an explicit component of the book. I chose a level a few grades below the students I was teaching here in Korea. It was really wonderful to read real literature with them!

Hope this helps. Again, I'd like to hear some other series that teachers enjoy using. I need some recommendations on supplemental grammar books for kids.

Last edited by little sage : May 2nd, 2005 at 02:18 am.